Thursday, July 24, 2014

Praying Out Loud

Isa. 26:3 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee. (KJV)

  
Staying asleep is a problem for many elderly people.  The lady I was taking care of was no exception.  She needed round the clock care in her home.  I was on the night shift, so I got to see a lot of her sleepless nights.

One night I wanted to pray for her.  The thought came that I should pray out loud for her.  I shrunk from that idea.  I didn't like to pray out loud. I didn't know how she would take it.  I fought doing it.  I just wanted to claim a verse and let God do the rest.  I felt God told me that I was claiming verses to make Him do what I wanted. He would do something just because I asked.  The burden to pray out loud strengthened.  Not only was I going to have to pray out loud, I was going to have to do it without a verse.  I had to choose to obey this command.

I went to her and held her hand.  I prayed out loud that she would be peaceful and get a good night's sleep.  A verse came to mind and I ended with that.  I don't remember any more what verse I used, but Isa. 26:3 would be appropriate. I put her back to bed.  She didn't wake up the rest of the night.

The next day I talked to one of her friends.  My lady told the friend that she had had the best sleep she ever had.

No comments:

Post a Comment