Monday, July 21, 2014

Teaching at VBS


Image result for image vacation bible school


I don't think I am very good with children, but I volunteered to help with Vacation Bible School (VBS).  I thought I'd be on the snack detail.

Instead they put me with kindergarten and first grade. I had fear of what to do with the children, but at least the class was big enough to have two more teachers. All I could do was trust that God had me there for a reason.

In the class, there was a restless boy that was always causing trouble.  The other teacher came up to me and said, "I can't take it with him anymore."  She wanted me to help.  I didn't know what to do, so I decided to sit next to him and listen.  He explained his drawing to me. He ate up my attention like a starving man. Another child came over for help with a memory verse, and my restless boy wouldn't let me help the other child. Later, he rejoined the group who were coloring pictures.

In a little while, a teacher brought a crying 2 1/2 or 3 year old child.  She was crying because she wasn't able to memorize a verse to get a toy.  The other teacher, probably in her late teens, didn't know what to do with her, so she gave me the girl to hold.  I tried to talk to her, but she was too busy crying.  I rocked and rocked and rocked her.  The woman who was in charge of VBS came with a puppet and was able get the little girl to quit crying.

On the last night, there was a program for the parents and grandparents.  The restless boy had to stand still with his class.  I could see how hard it was for him.  Like a cheerleader, I watched him, hoping he'd hold out.
Fortunately the song had actions to it and he did a good job. Afterward, I got on his level and told what a good job he did.

This was one of the first times I felt God was using me.  It was an encouragement to have His approval.





No comments:

Post a Comment