Saturday, June 14, 2014

How to Get Understanding


     If understanding is knowledge of the holy (Prov 9:10) and that wisdom goes with understanding (Prov 14:33), then the question becomes "How do I get understanding?"
     Simple.  You ask for it.
     God didn't just say to ask for it once.  He said "give me understanding" five times in Psalms 119  (verses 34, 73, 125, 144, 169).  If you count asking for wisdom as being like asking for understanding, then there are more verses.  Jesus said to ask and it would be given to you (Matt 7:7); James says God will not get mad if you ask for wisdom (James 1:5); Wisdom herself is asking to be listened to.
    Each of those verses in Ps 119 comes with a reason to ask for wisdom.  Verse 34 says "I shall keep thy law".  Verse 73 says "that I may learn thy commandments".  Verse 125 says "that I may know thy testimonies" (I would like to suggest  recognize thy testimonies).  Verse 144 says "I shall live".  Verse 169 says "give me understanding according to thy word."
     Let's face it.  God likes being asked.



No comments:

Post a Comment