Monday, June 9, 2014

"Understanding" in the Bible

     When I think of the word "understanding", I think of how-to.  A mechanic understands how to fix a car.  A beautician understands how to give a haircut.  A plumber knows how to repair a toilet.
     Sometimes when I read the Bible, I come across the word "understanding".  I ask myself, "Understand what?"
     I have found a verse that helps me.  Prov 9:10 says "knowledge of the holy is understanding".  Some verses make more sense by simply substituting the phrase "knowledge of the holy" for "understanding".
     For example, we are given knowledge of the holy in all things (2 Tim. 2:7)  Temple officials were astonished by Jesus' knowledge of the holy,  (Luke 2:47).  We are commanded to go in the way of knowledge of the holy, (Prov 9:6).
     "Wisdom rests in the heart of him that has understanding" (Prov 14:3).  Understanding the how-to of knowledge of the holy is as simple as following the ten commandents.  Jesus' commandments are based on them.  Way back in Ezekiel,  God promised to give a new heart and a new spirit so we could walk in His statutes (Eze. 36:26-27)


No comments:

Post a Comment