Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Believing in Your Ability


  


Matthew 25:14-30 is the parable of the servants and the talents that the employer gave them.  The one that got 5 talents and the one that got 2 talents doubled their money for the employer. The person that only got one talent dug a hole and buried his talent until the employer got back.

I always had a hard time understanding why the man with the one talent hid the talent because the ruler was a hard man.

Apparently the one talent man didn't want the responsibility.  He may have assumed the ruler wouldn't be satisfied no matter what he did?  Why was he afraid?

He may have been like me and assumed that that way he would get out of suffering.  God trains and tests us, just like the men with the talents.  My problem is worrying about what the test is that God will give me, whether he will give me the worst possible situations:  losing a home, a car accident that makes me a paraplegic, or losing a child.  This attitude is wrong.  It shows a lack of trust.  Just as the man with one talent wasn't trusting his ruler's belief in his own ability, so I have a problem believing in my ability and God's mercy.

I need to remember that God will not let us be tempted beyond our ability.  Jesus was tempted in every way we were, so He knows what we are going through. He is the one to come to find grace to help in time of need. (Hebrews 4: 15-16)


No comments:

Post a Comment