Friday, January 25, 2019

The Singing Command

Photo by Jason Rosewell on Unsplash

Psalms 149                                                                    
THOUGHT FOR TODAY: Sing praises to God, sing praises: sing praises unto our King, sing praises. (Psalms 47:6, KJV)

            At a funeral when the congregation sung hymns, I was seated next to an outstanding alto woman, and to an excellent baritone man in the pew behind me. I felt ashamed to sing because I cannot tell the difference between a “C” and an “A”. I am a soprano but my range is limited. I am usually flat. I felt God’s pressure to sing. How could I ruin their good singing with my cracked voice? Would they ask me to quit making noise?
            I am tired of hearing “make a joyful noise” when referring to singing quality. I do not think God believes bad singing is “noise”, like static on a radio. He made us and knows our limitations. He tells us throughout the Psalms to rejoice and sing.
            I finally gave in and sang.  Neither the man nor woman mentioned my singing.
            To this day, I remember how I felt, but I am getting better about singing both in a crowd and alone. I am encouraged when I realize even God sings (Zephaniah 3:17, KJV).

Prayer: Thank You for enjoying even poor singing. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment